Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Paul's December 2012 Fly of the Month

Black Ghost Zonker


Hook:  Size #4  Mustad 36890 Salmon hook or a streamer hook of your choice. 

Thread:  Black.

Tail:  Yellow saddle hackle fibers.

Body:  Black floss or uni-stretch.

Ribbing:  Silver flat mylar, or for better durability - silver, copper, or gold wire.

Wing:   White rabbit zonker strip.

Colar/throat:  Two wraps of yellow saddle hackle.

Part of the greatest enjoyment in tying your own flies is to develop and experiment with fly patterns to try and catch more fish.  Sometimes your rewarded for your efforts, and sometimes your not.  As with all the flies I’ve posted for the “Fly of the Month”, please free to experiment and “tweak” them. 

I tie my black ghosts different than the “traditional” tie.  For the wing I’ll often use marabou, or for this fly, a white zonker strip.   I also tie it on a salmon hook.  Zonker’s are great flies.  They undulate, condense to give a slim baitfish profile, and just make the fly look alive and irresistible.  It’s a very productive fly on the Housatonic.  White and yellow colored streamers are two of the preferred colors on our home river.  I don’t normally add weight to my streamers, preferring instead to use a full sinking line or a sink tip when I want to get them down deep.  Want to get your streamer down with a floating line? - Tie this fly on a traditional streamer hook and add a cone head. 

This fly can also be viewed at the Housatonic Fly Fishermen’s Association website at www.hffa.net .  If you have any questions about this fly or would like to submit a pattern of  the month I can be reached at 203 305-3854 or e-mail me at pdinice@snet.net.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment