Monday, April 22, 2013

Paul's May 2013 Fly of the Month

Picket Pin

Hook:  Mustad #9671 or #9672  Size #8-10   
Thread:  Black or olive.
Tail:  Brown hackle fibers
Body:  Peacock herl.
Hackle: Brown hen or saddle
Rib:  Fine oval gold tinsel, or gold wire counter wrapped to reinforce palmered body.
Wing:  Grey squirrel tail.
Head:  Peacock herl.
This is a very old fashioned and classic fly.  I don’t really know what it imitates but I’ve caught trout, small mouths, and sun fish with it.  I’ve nymphed it in rivers and fished it as a streamer in larger sizes.  I’ve twitched it through ponds and hooked a lot of sun fish.   I began tying it many years ago because the tying supplies I had were limited.  Fortunately I had all the materials to tie this one. This is also a great wet fly imitation for Alders on the Hous.
 
If you have any questions about this fly or would like to submit a pattern of the month I can be reached at 203 305-3850 or e-mail me at pdinice@snet.net .  It can also be viewed at www.hffa.net .

No comments:

Post a Comment