Friday, March 11, 2011

Paul's March 2011 Fly of the Month

The Black Leach
(also tied in Olive)

Hook:  Size #10  Mustad 9672
Thread:  Black.
Tail:  Black or olive rabbit zonker strip and 4-6 strands of rainbow or pearl
Krystal flash.
Body:  Black or olive leech yarn (mohair).
Weight:   Lead wraps, on only first third of the body

A few years back fly fishing friend John Springer gave me a few “Leaches” to try on my next fly fishing excursion.   I haven’t stopped using them since.  It is a “must have fly” in my box.  The fly was developed by John’s friend Ed Ostapczuk.  Although I’ve fished it almost exclusively in river and streams, Ed says it’s also a great “still water” pattern.  The fly is weighted.  Lead is only applied to the first half - to first third of the fly.  The action that is created is similar to a lead head jig.  When the fly is stripped through the water it undulates.  At each pause it “dives” towards the bottom.  This action is deadly.  I’ve also had great success dead drifting and nymphing with it.  I love fishing it with my 4wt and a 10’ sink tip line. 

You can read how Ed developed “The Black Leach” in the “Stories” section of the HFFA website at http://www.hffa.net/ .   Some great photos on how to tie it as well. 

1 comment:

  1. A tried and true mohair leech. Great blog! You got a new follower

    ReplyDelete